Get Involved! with Smart Start-Centre County
- Sign up for Smart Start's monthly e-newsletter
- View our brochure
- Attend a meeting as a guest (Board Meeting, Professional Advisory Committee to the Board, Action Committee, Parent Advisory Group). Contact Eileen at 238-0331 or Eileen@smartstartcc.org for meeting dates, times, and locations.
- Visit www.papromiseforchildren.org
- Do our website scavenger hunt
Smart Start volunteers serve on action committees or help with specific projects. With a very small staff, we rely on many community volunteers, including students, professionals, and parents, to help us provide publications and events for the community. One of our major goals for 2011-12 is to recruit more parents to serve on committees, assist in projects, and provide input on our publications & activities. We are seeking parents to serve on our Parent Advisory Group which will meet 2-3 times this year to advise our leaders on current and proposed projects and publications as well as parent needs, interests, and resources.
Volunteer Coordinator - communicate with Executive Director and committee chairs to place volunteers in appropriate positions and projects; maintain communication with volunteers about their interests and involvement; recruit volunteers as needed; establish ways to thank and recognize volunteers.
- Action Committee Members - participate in one or more of Smart Start's Action Committees by attending meetings and planning projects in the committee's focus area. Our four action committees are Health and Nutrition, Early Care and Education, Parenting and Literacy, and Early Childhood Mental Health. To learn more about the committees, click here.
- Event Volunteers - assist with implementing one or more of our annual projects.
Annual Events requiring volunteers -
- One Book, Every Young Child community reader project – planning Feb/March, reading April
- Countdown to Kindergarten – planning Dec/Jan, event February
- Early Childhood Mental Health Speaker Series – planning Aug/Sept, event October
- Publications Delivery Volunteers -
- Volunteers help stock our publications for families in local doctors’ offices throughout the year.
- Parent Advisory Group - meets regularly to review publications and projects and discuss current issues and needs for families with young children in Centre County. Food and child care provided. For information, contact Eileen@smartstartcc.org.
To financially support our mission to lead and support community efforts to improve the health, care, and education of young children, you can donate to a specific committee, project, or publication, to a general fund, or to our Pre-K Scholarship Fund which allows business tax dollars to stay in Centre County. For more information on making a tax-deductible contribution, contact Eileen at 814-238-0331 or Eileen@smartstartcc.org.